I’m a huge fan of simplicity and efficiency in the kitchen. With 2 young kids at home, I don’t have time to be in the kitchen for hours creating elaborate meals. But, I also don’t cut corners when it comes to creating nourishing meals.
Quinoa is one of my absolute favourite foods to eat. I’m a serious carb lover, and I love that quinoa hits the carb-loving-spot, without the gluten, plus the protein! Quinoa is rich in minerals, such as manganese, copper, phosphorus, and magnesium. It’s also a good source of fibre, folate and zinc. Parsley is the true star of the show here. I don’t feel like it gets enough credit for how nutrient dense it is. It’s loaded with vitamin K, C, A, folate, and iron. It is an antioxidant powerhouse!
Another thing I just love about this salad is that it’s very easy to make adjustments to and it’ll still be delicious. Avoid adding the feta cheese to make it dairy-free. If you don’t like mint – no problem! Swap it for cilantro, dill or another fresh herb. Chickpeas don’t do it for you? Sub in kidney beans, navy beans or black beans instead. You will not be disappointed!
If you’re planning to make this, I recommend making the quinoa the day before or a few hours before to allow it enough time to cool. It doesn’t need to be cold, but room temperature at the least. If you’re in a pinch – cook the quinoa and spread it out on a large plate, then pop it in the fridge or freezer to cool faster.
Please leave a comment below and tell me what you think of it. Happy eating my friends!
Twisted Tabouleh Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa cooled to room temperature
- 1 can chickpeas (398mL) rinsed well with cold water
- 1 cup curly parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leave, chopped remove leaves from stems
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 10 grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup feta cheese I prefer goat’s or sheep’s feta
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fine pink salt or sea salt add more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- In a large bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, sea salt, and ground black pepper to create the dressing.
- Then add the chickpeas, quinoa, curly parsley, mint, green onions, tomatoes and feta cheese to the bowl with the dressing.
- Gently mix the salad until dressing is evenly coated.
- Eat immediately or cover and place in the fridge to consume later. It should last for 2 days in the fridge before getting soggy!